I started TFC in March 2015. My wakeup call was during a vacation to Las Vegas with my husband. I’d always been a person who loved shopping for clothes for upcoming vacations. However during this vacation, I chose to wear a combination of yoga pants/workout tops during the day and leggings/tunics at night because I’d gained so much weight over the past two years. I’ve had a membership at my local YMCA for 10 years but hadn’t been going at all.
When we returned from vacation, I began looking for something different that would help me reach my goal of losing 30lbs. I joined Kerry’s TFC group the next Monday. I showed up to the camp with only a bottle of water. Kerry was so nice; she loaned me a mat and another TFC shared her weights with me for the day. I immediately felt welcomed.
When I first joined the group, I had to do modified jumping jacks and push-ups on my knees. I was unable to do a full sit-up or hold a plank at all. Also, I lifted 5 lbs weights. Now eight months later, I’m able do regular jumping jacks and different variations of push-ups while on my toes. I can do modified sit-ups while holding weights and hold a various planks for a full minute. Lastly, I regularly lift 10 lbs weights and sometimes left 8 lbs weights, if I need something lighter. There are still areas where I need growth but I confident that I’ll reach my goal. I’m continuously growing in my fitness journey with the support of Kerry and the other TFC members in our group.
These are a few things that I started in addition to TCF to help with my fitness journey:
- I committed to attend every TFC class session unless I had to miss for work. This was a challenge because it’s easy to want to take a night off just because I had a bad day at work.
- I tried to start eating clean and reduced my consumption of processed foods as much as possible. I ate lots of meat, fruits, veggies and nuts.
- I stopped drinking all alcoholic beverages, sugary drinks and sodas for at least 6 weeks. When I have an alcoholic beverage now, I stay away from the fruity cocktails and have dirty martinis or wine. Also, I opt for unsweetened tea or water instead of sodas.
- I added two days of cardio in addition to the boot camp. I started off walking 2 days a week before camp since that was easier. Now I alternate doing a cycling class, step aerobics class or doing the elliptical twice a week.
- I started accepting invitations to social events so that I had leave the house more often than usual. This gave me a reason to wear clothes other than work and exercise clothing. I was motivated by how I was starting to look in casual clothes.